Pink Pickled Onions
Red onions turn a delightful pink and look beautiful and taste delicious on salads and sandwiches!
Makes 2 cups
- 2 small red onions
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3⁄4 cup rice wine, white wine or apple cider vinegar 2 strips of orange peel *
- 4-5 cloves
- Boil water ready to soak onions
- Peel and slice red onions into thin full or half moons
- Place onions in a bowl and pour boiling water over onions
Combine vinegar, sugar, sugar, orange peel (no pith – that is the white bitter stuff!) and
cloves. Stir to dissolve
Using a fork transfer blanched onion rings to pickling mixture and gently stir to
distribute the flavours
- Store in glass jar(s) in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Best within the first week.
*Other flavouring options are black pepper corns, fresh thyme sprig, garlic clove, piece of fresh ginger, cinnamon stick. Use whatever combinations of flavourings you think you might enjoy.