These appointments are currently being conducted virtually or over the phone.
For more information please call (519) 938-8802 ext. 0.
The goal of the Respiratory Program is to provide assistance to patients with respiratory symptoms, when referred by their Family Doctor. This involves giving appropriate education, resources and symptom management tools based upon diagnosis.
The Respiratory Therapist will perform a spirometry (breathing test) on patients with respiratory symptoms or smokers at risk for the investigation of COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and Asthma.
For patients with asthma or asthma-like symptoms, the respiratory team will provide individualized educational sessions about asthma, medication education, trigger identification and symptom control.
You will be given an “asthma action plan” that will help you to identify your level of control and provide self-management instructions to keep you symptom free.
Patients can be seen as needed by the respiratory therapist. Follow-up spirometry may be performed to monitor control.
For patients with COPD the Respiratory Therapist will provide education to patients with COPD specifically focusing on treatments and lifestyle changes that can help you optimize your health, stay more active, and slow the progress of the disease. You will receive follow up care by the Respiratory Therapist who will evaluate control, provide a COPD action plan and perform additional spirometry testing as needed.
Types of Patients Seen
Patients with a history of respiratory symptoms, who have asthma, COPD &/or may be a smoker at risk.
What to Expect
- Your respiratory health and medication history will be collected and reviewed
- Your weight, oxygen saturation and blood pressure will be taken
- A spirometry (breathing test) will be performed and the results will be sent to your Family Doctor, Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant for diagnosis.
- We will review your medications and discuss symptom monitoring – a respiratory symptom diary may be requested, which can include Peak Flow Meter Recording
- We will review and explain how to use your diary to assist with self management and identification of controlled versus uncontrolled symptoms with the goal of working towards an individualized Action Plan
- You will receive information about your chronic condition, appropriate use of your medications, learn more about healthy lifestyle, and gain confidence in your ability to manage your respiratory condition
- We will help you set some lifestyle goals
- You will receive help with removal of secretions from your lungs if you have trouble doing so
- Smoking cessation counseling &/or assistance provided as appropriate
Patients may be referred to other interdisciplinary health care professionals within Dufferin Area Family Health Team as needed.