The RN Diabetes Educator is a vital part of the Dufferin Area Family Health Team (DAFHT) and will collaborate with the physicians and other interdisciplinary providers to achieve the vision and mission of the organization. The Diabetes Educator will help the FHT to meet its strategic objectives by coordinating the diabetic component of our chronic disease management program and educating patients and team members in best-practice methods.
- Screen, prioritize and process client referrals, using information obtained through physician, laboratory reports and health records.
- Assessment of the individual’s specific education and management needs.
- Educate the patient on disease management, self-management and improvement of lifestyle including disease overview, exercise and activity, medication, home monitoring, acute complications, hygiene and follow-up.
- Assist in the development of patient programs, identifying priorities, target dates and implementation strategies.
- Evaluation of the attainment of self-management goals and risk reduction behaviour.
- Manage, review and make recommendations regarding protocols for the education of FHT diabetes patients.
- Facilitate group education sessions using established principles of teaching/learning theory and lifestyle counseling.
- Work effectively within an interdisciplinary team.
- Coordinate the diabetes program including administration, teaching, clinical responsibilities, collaborating with Pharmaceutical Representatives, evaluation and continuous quality improvement, using the input of other FHT providers.
- Manage the inventory of diabetes supplies.
- Be available for after-hours clinical and group week, one evening per week.
- Certification by the Canadian Diabetes Educator Certification Board an asset.
- Baccalaureate- Nursing or equivalent.
- Basic CPR certification.
- Current Driver’s License.
- Demonstrated experience in community or primary care setting.
- Excellent oral/written skills.
- Ability to work effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Knowledge and proficiency in current, evidence-based methods and practices of primary care delivery.
- Knowledge and proficiency to develop and conduct educational programs for learners, and experience in evaluation of learning activities specific to individual performance.
- Ability to develop strategies that successfully meet the needs of diverse patient, family and provider populations.
- Proficiency in the use of computer hardware and software. Previous experience working in electronic medical records an asset.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment.
- Willingness to teach and train other members of the interdisciplinary team or students as required.
Human Resources and Finance Manager