COME AND JOIN OUR TEAM!
The Dufferin Area Family Health Team (DAFHT) is located in Dufferin County, approximately 45 minutes north of Toronto. The DAFHT is comprised of 35 family physicians and a diverse team of allied health professionals who work in Orangeville, Shelburne and Grand Valley. The DAFHT services a patient population of approximately 48,000. The Physician Assistant is an integral part of the DAFHT.
Our Mission at the Dufferin Area Family Health Team is to provide person-centered, dynamic and compassionate care. Working as a multidisciplinary team, connecting with other community organizations, and empowering each patient with the knowledge and tools to manage their health, all persons shall receive comporehensive health care. Our programs augment current services in our community and also provide opportunities for interdisciplinary teaching and learning.
Through the integration of a Physician Assistant into the Dufferin Area Family Health Team, we improve the quality of care through enhanced access to medical services in a timely manner (particularly through same-day or next-day appointments), decrease wait times to see the physician, and create more time for the physician to devote to patients with complex medical issues. The Physician Assistant will work with a group of multiple physicians and operate under their supervision. While working with the physician, and a team of multi-disciplinary providers, your role will include but not be limited to:
- Providing primary care services to patients including acute and chronic disease management, preventative care, and well-woman and well child visits
- Performing certain acts under medical directives, delegated by the physicians,
- Educating patients on health promotion and disease prevention,
- Assisting the physician with management of complex patients,
- Referrals to allied health professionals, for services outside of the Physician Assistant’s scope of practice,
- Performing other duties within the competencies of a Physician Assistant.
All acts are conducted under the direction and supervision of a registered Physician, and in accordance with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario’s policy on delegation.
The Physician Assistant (PA) reports to, and is responsible to, the Executive Director. All acts are conducted under the direction and supervision of a registered Physician, and in accordance with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario’s policy on delegation. The supervising physician is responsible for the medical care provided to the patient by the PA and can only delegate medical acts that are within their own scope of clinical practice. The PA is not an autonomous health care provider, and cannot act as the principal medical decision maker.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Completion of an accredited Physician Assistant program or equivalent
- Current BCLS, ACLS, PALS certification and NALS certification is preferred
- Certified or eligible to be certified through the PACC or Certified through NCCPA (National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants) for American educated/trained PAs
- Excellent oral/written skills
- Ability to work effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Minimum 2 years experience working as a Physician Assistant.
- Knowledge and proficiency in current, evidence-based methods and practices of primary care delivery.
- Experience in primary care an asset.
- Ability to develop strategies that successfully meet the needs of diverse patient, family and provider population.
- Proficiency in the use of computer hardware and software.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment.
- Willingness to teach and train other members of the interdisciplinary team or students as required.
Interested candidates please forward your CV to:
Human Resources and Finance Manager
Dufferin Area Family Health Team